Sunday, April 29, 2007

First food for baby

I dropped the camera off at Walgreen's for development, then I spent all my money at the garden store, and I don't know when I'll have the photos to post.

I bought two more pots of onions, one of Walla Walla and one of yellow onions, for Wes's sake. I also bought a gallon of compost tea and a gallon of liquid fish&seaweed fertilizer. The compost tea mixes up 1 gallon to 4 gallons water; the other mixes up 1/2 cup to 1 gallon water; as far as I can find out, 8 gallons of water mixed with 2 gallons of compost tea and 2 cups of fish&seaweed should be about right for our 75 sq. ft. garden. twice a month. Next time I'll buy two gallons of compost tea.

I wanted to get in and apply the first batch of fertilizer this evening, but the staff person at the front desk is new, and didn't know which key unlocks the garden gate. I got one and a half gallons of the mix spread over the left side of the garden to about a foot wide, and the whole top triangle to about 2 feet down, by pouring it over the fence. Next time I have to do that, I'll get a picture for you. :D

We had a birthday party for Jean this evening, and I told her that I had drenched the area she plans to put her dahlias in. She will probably do her planting on Tuesday, and Claudia will plant Majestic Giant pansies around the nursery pansies, probably on Tuesday.

Tomorrow, when I can get the gate unlocked, I'll finish the fertilizer dousing and plant the onion seedlings. Since they have to stay in my room overnight, I already doused them with some of the mix.

When I get my next check (May 3), I want two more thyme plants, and maybe another sage plant.

Two weeks from now we should be seeing sprouts. We can sow another batch of seeds (probably beets and spinach) in the bare spots, and pour on another batch of food mix. I'm starting a garden calendar.

No comments: