Monday, January 21, 2008

In spite of what I said...

I wasn't going to start anything new for awhile... but I did. I recycled some of the non-sprouting peat pots to start 6 spearmint pots for Wes and 5 "226" eggplants for me. In soil-mix cells that I gave up on, I planted 4 Sweet Marjoram and 3 Stevia.


I was resolved to keep better track of which plant was which. I started out labeling everything by section: 9 pots of this, 9 pots of that, etc. Then some of the peat pots in the tray started sprouting before the others, and I moved them out to the light, and lost track of which section they came from. I sorted out and rearranged everything today, ending up with (including both peat pots and soil cells) 54 identified seedlings, 13 unidentified.

Three newspaper pots have sprouted! Those were only seeded 3 days ago! Add on soaking two days before that, it's still faster than anything in the trays.

The identification of the pots is tentative yet: I think I have one pot of Brandywines and two of Early Girls. I'll be able to tell for sure when they develop a bit more. I'm hoping I can sort the others out over time, too. :)

Hold the phone: one Oregon Spring cell in the trays just sprouted!

No comments: