Friday, June 12, 2009

Yes, we're still going!

A lot of plants died in our unusually cold winter, including some perennials. It took me awhile to get the spirit up to start again this year -- but I did!

Early in May, our favorite frat (Sigma Beta Rho) came by and spread the compost I'd made over the winter, and on Mother's Day I began planting anew in the garden. I will post current photos eventually!

Current plants:

  • Tomato: One each Sweet Million, Sweet 100, Early Girl, Oregon Spring -- and a dozen volunteers coming up from the compost, being slowly thinned out. :)
  • One hill of zucchini -- planted more, along with cucumbers, but rats dug all the rest up!
  • A forest of red orache (aka mountain spinach) sown from the seeds I saved off the one plant grown last year. I sowed them thickly because I didn't think I'd kept the seeds well -- then most of them sprouted! I'm slowly thinning them.
  • A forest of catnip from last year.
  • The rhubarb from last year.
  • One kale from last year, grown big and wild and gone to seed: almost ready to pick off and replant the seeds.
  • Volunteers from last year's plants: magenta spreen, borage, red russian kale, something that may be squash.
  • A couple of french marigolds (had more, dug up by rats).
  • 5 Easy Wave petunias, won in a contest! Were 6, one killed by rats; one other little hero has been dug up 3 times, replanted and keeps bouncing back!
  • I planted some beans and guess what dug them up?
Herbs surviving from last year:
  • The rosemary bush -- and it finally bloomed this spring!
  • Most of the lavender -- I thought I'd lost my favorite, the gray lady, but she's coming back.
  • The garden sage -- and it is blooming! It's not supposed to bloom -- but I love it. :)
  • The golden sage.
  • Oregano, both green and gold; blending beautifully!
  • Spearmint --- of course! :D
  • One of the three thyme bushes -- blooming nicely.
  • Chives.
  • Parsley.
Flowers surviving:
  • My grape hyacinths were blooming again, but some vandal dumped their container. :( I have salvaged the bulbs and will replant this fall.
  • One of the miniature roses had survived, was beginning to thrive -- then was stolen. :(
  • One of the three chrysanthemums is coming back, but hasn't bloomed yet this year.
  • Hoochy Mama (the heuchera) has survived! and is "blooming" (the leaves of the heuchera are much more impressive than the blooms).
  • The catmint is blooming bountifully!
About half of the strawberries survived, and a new half-dozen came up in the veggie bed. The first crop of the year is starting to ripen.

No comments: