Monday, May 7, 2007

Cayenne works!

No more new nibbling! Whatever it was, the cayenne border around the garden seems to be repelling it.

Sunny and warming.

I'm going to Yakima tomorrow morning and I won't be back until Friday evening. I've passed the word: If the weather continues hot and sunny the garden will need more water; if we have rain, that garden will need more cayenne.

One of the zucchini plants appears totally dead. The second is sprouting new leaves. Even the one chewed down to the stem seems to be sprouting new leaves!

There are a few grass-like shoots coming up where I planted the spinach. Yup, that's what spinach seedlings look like.

The rhubarb is definitely dying, and I'm not too sure about the pumpkin; it looks like it's sprouting new leaves, but it also looks like the older leaves are dying. I'm going to check the ground in that end of the garden before I leave, make sure it's retaining water.

The mesclun plants are standing up proud and practically gleam with health. We may have salad next Wednesday!

I ordered more Sacred Basil, Mesclun mixes, some purslane and some white clover, and had them shipped extra-fast, with the manic intent to sow them before I leave for Yakima. They came today, but so did a bit of my sanity. I'll hold off any more planting until I come back, when I can see more of what's coming up, and I can keep any newly sown seed evenly moist.

I'll post again next Saturday!

No comments: