Friday, May 11, 2007

I'm Ba-a-a-ack!

Jean kept an eye on the garden, and thought it needed no more water even without rain. Everything is fine except the tangerine gem marigold seedlings.

I made a quick trip to the garden store and bought new cucumber, zucchini, and pumpkin plants, some well-grown sunburst-squash to supplement the sunny-scallop squash seeds I sowed earlier, plus a few more lettuces and a healthy-looking young borage. Putting them in I found that although the soil is dry on top, it is moist (not damp, but cool-moist) under the surface, and six inches (or more) down. It will hold until I get the compost tea tomorrow.

Only a few of the tangerine gem marigold seedlings are still there; the radish seedlings are thriving; a few more spinach seedlings have sprouted; it looks like a few borage and calendula are coming up; and some of the basil are coming up! The nasturtiums I got potted are struggling along, and it looks like a couple are coming up from the seeds -- including one in the border outside the raised beds.

I don't see signs of new nibbling, but the golden sage and the peppermint haven't recovered from the nibbling they got, so when I go to get the compost tea I am also going to get some new sage and peppermint; and some nasturtiums I saw that are already in flower.

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow, when everything new is in. See you then. :)

No comments: